National Collection - Saskatoon
The Ukrainian Museum of Canada of the Ukrainian Women's Association of Canada was founded in 1936 in Saskatoon. It was Canada's first Ukrainian museum and served as a center dedicated to the advancement of the knowledge of and the preservation of Ukrainian heritage in Canada. From its humble beginnings and with much community support the museum has developed into one of Canada's major Ukrainian Collections.
The first gallery space was at the Petro Mohyla Institute (401 Main Street) and opened to the public in 1941. In 1965, gallery space was also provided in the new Mohyla Institute when they moved to 1240 Temperance Street. Rapid growth in the late 1960s and early 1970s resulted in the need for expanded space to house the museum's growing collection.
A new museum building, at our current location of 910 Spadina Crescent East, was completed in the summer of 1979. The museum's staff and summer students began to move in artifacts beginning on Monday, July 9, 1979. It took two weeks to move everything from the old location to the new. Unpacking and set-up, however, took the rest of the summer. The first displays opened in early 1980. The official public opening took place on Saturday, May 24, 1980.
The NationalCollection in Saskatoon has recieved over $xxx in grants from SUS Foundation of Canada.
More information coming soon.
The Ukrainian Museum of Canada (of the Ukrainian Women's Association of Canada) Alberta Branch is dedicated to the preservation of Ukrainian culture in Canada. When the Ukrainian Women's Association of Canada was organized in 1926, there was already a substantial collection of artifacts. The main museum was established in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and the Alberta Branch was officially opened in 1944. In 2009 the museum celebrated its' 65th Anniversary. It is the first Ukrainian Museum established in Edmonton.
The collection includes: Ukrainian regional costumes, wedding headdresses, kylyms, other weavings, embroideries, pysanky, icons, paintings, sculptures, dolls depicting regional costumes, wood carvings, ceramics and domestic Canadiana.
The Edmonton branch has recieved over $xxx in grants from SUS Foundation of Canada.
More information coming soon.
In the fall of 1944, the Eastern Branch (now Ontario Branch) of the Ukrainian Museum of Canada was formed at the Kn. Olha Branch of the Ukrainian Women’s Association of Canada located at St Volodymyr Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral in Toronto. After 35 years at that location, the Ontario Branch moved to St Vladimir Institute in 1979 to larger facilities which include an exhibit area and 2 storage rooms. Since 1980 the Museum has mounted 30 outstanding thematic exhibits during which its rich collections of historic artifacts have been displayed. In addition, materials from the community have also been exhibited in such displays as Ukrainian Weaving Past and Present (1986); Ukrainian Pioneer Furniture (1992); The Bandura (2004); The John and Mary Yaremko Collection (2008) and most recently, Ivaan Kotulsky in Retrospect (2009).
The Ontarion branch has recieved over $xxx in grants from SUS Foundation of Canada.